Dating to 1885, the Lumber Exchange Building was the first “skyscraper” built in Minneapolis and the oldest building outside of New York City with 12 or more floors. Designed by Franklin B. Long and Frederick Kees in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, it was also billed as one of the first fireproof buildings in the country. Built in multiple stages, the original building was a tall, thin structure with an additional wing added in 1890. Later, two stories were also added to the top of the building.
The partnership of Long and Kees, which lasted from 1884 to 1897, was particularly successful and led to the construction of many of the largest buildings in the city in the 1880s and 1890s. Other buildings by these partners included the Public Library (1884); the Masonic Temple (1888), now the Hennepin Center for the Arts); the Flour Exchange (1893–1897); and Minneapolis City Hall (1889).
- Visited: late 1980s
- National Register of Historic Places: 1983