Located about 13 miles northeast of Two Harbors along the North Shore of Lake Superior, Gooseberry Falls State Park was officially designated in 1937. It surrounds the mouth of the Gooseberry River and actually includes three falls — the Upper, Middle, and Lower Gooseberry Falls. Erected by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1934 and 1941, the park’s rustic structures, whose construction was supervised by two Italian stonemasons, are notable for their use of red, blue, brown, and black basalt. There are also 70 non-electric camping sites available year-round, as well as 18 miles of hiking trails, including 8 miles of mountain bike trails, which connect to the Superior Hiking Trail. The park is home to white-tailed deer, Canadian lynx, black bears, timber wolves, ravens, herring gulls, and migratory salmon and trout.
In 1996, the Joseph N. Alexander visitor center was built, providing space for interpretive displays, a cinema screening room, and a gift shop. It also hosts public events, including nature, wildlife, astronomy, and music programs.
- Visited: around 1990