Beginning in 1995, one of the co-founders of Hard Rock Cafe, Peter Morton, spent $80 million to open the first Hard Rock Hotel and Casino near the Las Vegas Strip. He later sold it In 2006 for $770 million, which included the rights to the use of the Hard Rock Hotel brand west of the Mississippi. In 2018, this property was sold again, this time to Richard Branson, who planned to renovate it under his Virgin Hotels brand.
As with the cafés, the hotels and casinos feature music memorabilia, pop-culture artifacts, and live music performances celebrating contemporary, emerging, and legendary artists worldwide. Meanwhile, in-room amenities include: a personalized music playlist which follows you around your room, your choice of Fender guitar to reserve and play (with amplifier), a turntable with a curated collection of vinyl records, and a pair of premium headphones.
Currently across the United States, there are also Hard Rock Hotel and Casino locations in:
- San Diego
- Palm Springs
- Northfield Park (near Cleveland)
- Illinois (Chicago), New York (NYC), Iowa (Sioux City), Oklahoma (Catoosa, near Tulsa), Mississippi (Biloxi), Nevada (Stateline, near Lake Tahoe), and New Jersey (Atlantic City).
And as of July 2018, Hard Rock International also operates hotels and/or casinos in over a dozen foreign countries, including:
- Hard Rock Casino Vancouver, Canada
- Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Hard Rock Hotel Bali, Indonesia
- Hard Rock Hotel Dublin, Ireland
- Hard Rock Hotel Cáncun, Mexico
- Hard Rock Hotel Davos, Switzerland
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa, India
- Hard Rock Hotel Ibiza, Islas Baleares, Spain
- Hard Rock Hotel London, United Kingdom
- Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, Panama City, Panama
- Hard Rock Hotel Penang, Malaysia
- Hard Rock Hotel Pattaya, Thailand
- Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Hard Rock Hotel Shenzhen, China
- Hard Rock Hotel Singapore, Resorts World Sentosa, Singapore
- Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife, Spain
- Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
There are also planned openings in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Brazil, Colombia, and Hungary.
- Visited: Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Atlantic City (2019)