The Dales are a series of enclosed shopping malls circling the Twin Cities that were originally developed by the Dayton-Hudson Corporation with the opening of Southdale Center in Edina. This was later followed by Brookdale Center (Brooklyn Center), Rosedale Center (Roseville), and Ridgedale Center (Minnetonka). Of the four, Brookdale is the only “-dale” not still in existence.
- Southdale Center (1956 – present) – the 1st of the Twin Cities’ “-dale” shopping malls, as well as the oldest fully enclosed, climate-controlled shopping mall in the United States.
- Brookdale Center (1962-2010) – the 2nd of the “-dales” mall developments, as well as the 3rd enclosed shopping mall in the Twin Cities, after Southdale Center and Apache Plaza in the city of St. Anthony Village. It was closed in 2010, and later demolished in 2012, before being redeveloped into the current Shingle Creek Crossing development.
- Rosedale Center (1969 – present) – the 3rd of the “-dales”, originally anchored by the department stores of both Dayton’s (later rebranded as Marshall Field’s in 2001) and Donaldson’s (later purchased by Carson Pirie Scott in 1988).
- Ridgedale Center (1974 – present) – originally anchored by the now defunct department stores of Dayton’s and Donaldson’s, as well as JCPenney and Sears, the mall has since undergone several expansions and renovations, including the recent addition of a Nordstrom in 2015. Considered an “upscale shopping center”, the mall now includes various luxury brands, such as Coach New York, Swarovski, and TUMI.
- Shopped: all four, at various times since the 1970s