Rhodes, the largest of the Dodecanese Islands in Greece, was occupied by the Knights of St. John from 1309 to 1523. They transformed the island capital into a fortified city able to withstand siege warfare until it finally fell to Suleyman II in 1522 after a six-month siege.
The medieval city is located within a 4 km-long wall and is divided with the high town to the north and the lower town to the south. The Knights were organized into seven tongues, each having its own inn (or seat) with those of Italy, France, Spain and Provence lining the principal east-west axis, the famous “Street of the Knights”.
After 1523, most churches were converted into Islamic mosques.
- Visited: May 2016
- UNESCO: 1988